Monday, November 26, 2012

Santa Claus is Coming to town...Just not to our house

...Christmas time is here. It rapidly approaches like a speeding train. Now, I'm not a grinch or a scrooge. I actually love Christmas, I mean the part of Christmas that's about family and tradition...not so much the thing Christmas has become...the thing that has people trampling one another for deals, or the one that tells people that if they don't have the biggest and best of everything that they're not really happy. The monster that the holiday has turned into is not what I love. I love the baking Christmas cookies with my kids, going to a farm and getting our own tree and then bringing it home and decorating it, the Christmas where we get together with our loved ones and even if no gifts were given it would still be wonderful. I love the old fashioned Christmas...which is the Christmas I'm raising my boys to love...with one change...No Santa. Now, don't get me wrong, I grew up believing in Santa. My Grandma and mom made a big deal out of Santa and I remember being sorely disappointed the day I found out he wasn't real. I know people who get seriously offended when they find out that you haven't told your kids about Santa and I'm not trying to encroach on anyone's traditions...it's just not for us.
...I want to state here that this isn't a religious thing. We're a Christian family, but that's not why. To be quite honest, Santa has just never been brought up. My boys are 3 and 15 months old and my husband and I talked about it and decided "why bother?". I know a lot of people are going to say that we're being scrooges, I've had people tell me that I'm ruining my children's  childhood by not celebrating Santa. That's their opinion...it's wrong, but they're my kids so there! Seriously though, my husband and I talked about it at length and decided that we want our boys to be thankful for whatever they are given, and we want them to thank the people who have given it to them. I think that's better than telling them that some fat guy in a red suit comes down our chimney (which we don't have) and puts presents under the tree. If that makes me the grinch then I guess that's fine with me.
...Anyway, I know this post will probably not be very popular. Santa has become an integral part of  Christmas, and if your family believes in Santa then that's great! I really have no issue with Santa!! I just hate what Christmas has become and I want something different for my boys. I want them to give thanks every day for the people in their lives, and the gifts life gives them. I want them to remember that they have family who loves and cares for them. I want my boys to grow up with the old fashioned values, that have become non existent in today's society. So, I guess my point is...no matter how you celebrate, or what holiday you celebrate...I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday!


Nikon D5100 16.2MP Digital SLR Camera - Body Only - Digital SLR (Google Affiliate Ad)Nabi 2 Kids 7 " Android Tablet - NABI2NVA (Google Affiliate Ad)

No comments:

Post a Comment